Source: Rolando McClain to be cut

  • ESPN.com news services | November 29, 2012

Oakland Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain has been informed by the team that he will be released on Thursday, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen says he told McClain not to come to practice Thursday after the player was held out for team-related issues.

"There's going to be consequences to his actions and it's a team-related issue," Allen said. "I don't really want to get into the details of it. We asked him not to come to practice today."

Allen said McClain has not been suspended and remains on the 53-man roster but would not speculate on what the future held for the linebacker.

"This is something that we've got to make a decision as an organization, and we're going to make sure that we make the right decision," Allen said.

McClain reportedly wrote on his Facebook page he no longer was a Raider, then deleted the post.

McClain was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft after helping Alabama win a national championship. He has struggled so far in his career and has had his playing time sharply reduced in recent weeks.

McClain
McClain

In 41 career games with Oakland, McClain had 6½ sacks, one interception, one forced fumble, no fumble recoveries and did little to help improve Oakland's struggling run defense.

After being essentially an every down player for the first two years of his career, McClain was demoted after the first month of this season. He was replaced by rookie Miles Burris in nickel packages because of his struggles in pass coverage and because the coaching staff believed he tired too easily playing every down. He has gone from playing more than 90 percent of defensive snaps to just over half the past seven games.

McClain also had problems off the field. He was involved in a shooting in Alabama last November when he left the team briefly during the season to attend a family funeral. McClain had been convicted of four misdemeanors in May but he appealed and the charges were recently dropped when the accuser told prosecutors he no longer wanted to pursue the case.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Tell us what you think!

Take Survey Now » No Thanks »