Chat with Bob Harig

Chat with Bob Harig
Page 1 of 4

Welcome to SportsNation! On Tuesday, ESPN.com golf writer Bob Harig will stop by to talk about the golf season.

Harig covers golf for ESPN.com and provides columns, features and analysis on the world of golf, specifically the PGA Tour. He has contributed to ESPN.com's golf coverage since 1997.

Send your questions now and join Bob to chat Tuesday at 3 p.m. ET!

Bob Harig
Still trying to catch my breath after an exciting Masters. Hope everyone enjoyed. Lots to try and get to here I'll answer as many questions as I can. Please fire away.
Patrick (Hanover)
While reading your article on Phil(shameless plug) on Sunday you stated that this would not be his worst major lost and while I agree with that and certainly don't put it up there with Winged Foot, I do beleive this is up there. He didn't need to do anything special like big charges at the 2009 masters and 2011 Open championship. I believe he wil be kicking himself as 70 gets him into a play-off and 69 wins. Also what this would have meant having 4 green jackets tying Arnold and would have pulled even with Tiger which would have seemed unthinkable 7 years ago. Your thoughts?
Bob Harig
Thanks for that shameless plug. . And it's a great debate. You are right, this one ought to sting. Turns 2 triples into doubles and he's in a playoff.The reason I think Winged Foot was more painful, however, was he hit a bad shot at the wrong time, then compounded it by not laying up and assuring himself a spot in a playoff.At the Masters, he had a bit shot at the wrong time -- and then got a horrible break. He deservied a bogey on that hole for hitting a bad tee shot, not a triple because hit hit the railing of a grandstand and took an unbelievable bounce.Also, let's get this out there: going back to the tee was not a very good option either.But you're right he was that close to a fourth green jacket. It's got to hurt.
Patrick (Hanover)
So two years ago Tiger's life is in shambles and finishes 4th. last year his swing is in shambles and finishes 4th and this year with seemingly all the momentum in the world has his worst finish as a pro. Can you explain that or is that just golf?
Bob Harig
I don't know how you explain it, frankly. I don't think he knew how to explain it. Makes no sense. The worst finish would have been understandable two years ago. Hard to believe it could go so bad from Bay Hill to Augusta in a matter of 10 days.
Patrick (Hanover)
What happened with Luke Donald and the scorecard?
Bob Harig
It was basically an Augusta National error. They read and put in their scoring system his score in the wrong way. A 5 was written on the card, that's what he signed for. They thought it was a 3 due to a smudge. .. Goes again to the argument that why go through all that nonsense. Those who follow know what he made on the hole.
Spencer Holmes (TN)
Did Tiger go back to the Scotty at Augusta? I heard rumors but nothing was confirmed.
Bob Harig
No, he continued to use the Nike putter
Ed (Long Island)
What shot were the pro's more impressed with - Phil's Flop or Bubba's Hook?
Bob Harig
The guess here is they were more impressed with Phil's flop shot -- although Bubba's was incredible also.
Ed (Long Island)
More triples in April - Phil or Jose Reyes?
Bob Harig
Good one
Ed (Long Island)
Do the players go to the US Open course for practice rounds as frequently as they do for the Master's? I would figure they would go more since it's a different course every year. Also, is the course for the US Open set up at "playing condition" earlier than Augusta is? You here Augusta is different on Wednesday than Thursday.
Bob Harig
Yes, many of them do go to the U.S. Open site and you could argue it's even more important. But like Augusta, the course changes as it gets closer to the tournament. My guess is Olympic is not playing like the US. Open right now just like Augusta doesn't two months prior.
Matthew (Columbia, NJ)
Bob: What golfer aside from Tiger, disappointed you the most with his play at the Masters?
Bob Harig
Rory. He was one shot off the lead heading into the weekend and basically became a non factor after the first hole Saturday. Very strange for him to drop off that much.
JY (TO)
Is it fair to say that Tiger either has it or he doesnt in majors? He has never won a major from behind, and when we does win, a number have been by a wide margin
Bob Harig
I would disagree with, despite what just happened at Augusta. He was no worse than sixth at each of the previous Masters going back to his last win in 05. He was tied for fourth at the 2010 U.S. Open. Last year's PGA he was coming off injury which makes it a poor one to judge.
JY (TO)
How would you assess Louis's performance on Sunday? He seemed really calm and in control, yet other then the albators, he barely made any birdies and was really scrambling for par's. I guess a 69 on sunday holding the lead is pretty good?
Bob Harig
Hard to find fault with Louis. He made a couple of bogeys after that double eagle but nothing on the back nine. Made a couple of birdies on the par-5s, some great putts to save par. His putt on the 18th during the playoff looked like it was in.
Stees (DC)
Bob,When asked about his tee shot on four, FIGJAM stated that he hit it where he wanted and that he got an unlucky bounce from the bleachers that led to another triple. How can any shot that hits anywhere near the bleachers be considered an on target attempt? I think FIGS needs to accept the mistake and the repercussions for a wayward shot and stop making excuses. Thoughts?
Bob Harig
I don't think he was making an excuse. He simply answered the question. He aimed left of the pin there. The bleachers are not that far from the green. If you hit them, the ball is righ there and you have an easy pitch after a free drop -- if it's too close. Hitting to the right is an automatic bogey. No way to get the ball close to the pin. So he was being strategic. Obviously he hit the ball farther left than what he wanted. But to think it's going to hit a railing and bounce over the grandstand into an area where nobody goes? That is unlucky.
Stees (New Orleans)
Dear Bob, World Numbers 1 & 2 both had bad weeks at the 'Sters. Why is the sky not falling on Luke and Rory like it is Tiger. Bad weeks happen, and I'm sure all 3 will bounce back. PS. I.think.Rory.might.still.have.some.demons.at.the.National.
Bob Harig
Good point. Worlds No. 1 and 2, Luke and Rory, were not a factor on Sunday. Tiger has a bad week and it's a huge deal. But Tiger is held to a different standard. 14 majors. That is why he will always be a story, win or lose, good or bad.
Stees (DC)
Bob,Tiger clearly still has alot of work to do on the swing that he and Sean Foley have been working to perfect. Tiger better have Foley chained to his compound driving range in Jupiter, Florida or there will be hell to pay.
Bob Harig
I am not sure he does have a lot of work to do. Seems to me he simply is too mechanical at the moment. It worked for several weeks, including Bay Hill. And then it just leaves? I wondered if he was trying too hard, wanted it too much, and it got in the way.
Nelson (DE)
Over the course is his professional career: do you think Tiger has made more bad golf-related decisions than good? Of those, which was his worst and which was his best?
Bob Harig
I would say he's clearly made more good decisions. You don't win all that he has won without. His best decision was revamping his swing way back in 1998. That decision, which seemed odd at the time, helped him go on to have those monster years from 1999-03. While it seemed odd that he changed again then, the record with Hank Haney is hard to argue with.Worst decison? trying to play injured at last year's Players. That cost him dearly.
Chuck (Durango, CO)
Does Kyle Stanley have what it takes to compete in a major?
Bob Harig
It's hard to say, really. Not enough evidence either way. His bounceback at Phoenix was impressive. He certainly has a lot of game. I would expect that he'll have an excellent career. How that translates to majors at this point is nclear.

Advertisement

Tell us what you think!

Take Survey Now » No Thanks »