Chat with Mark Schlabach

Chat with Mark Schlabach
Page 1 of 3

Welcome to SportsNation! On Monday, college football reporter Mark Schlabach stops by to chat about the 2009 season.

Schlabach joined ESPN.com in July 2006 as a college football and basketball columnist. A graduate of the University of Georgia, Mark spent nine years at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution covering Georgia and the SEC, as well as the NFL and NASCAR. Before joining ESPN, Schlabach spent two years at the Washington Post covering college football and basketball, and boxing.

Send your questions now and join Schlabach to chat Monday at noon ET!

Mark Schlabach
Hope everybody had a great Christmas. Bowl games have been pretty good so far. One more today and then off to Jacksonville for Gator Bowl. Here we go...
RAY GORDON REID (KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE 37214)
QUESTION TO MAR SCHLABACH AT12,20 PM OK MARK SHLABAch boise state BRONCOS OR TEXAS CHRISTIAN HORNED FROGS JANUARY4 2010
Mark Schlabach
I'm going to go with TCU. Great defense. Better offense than most people believe. A little more battled tested this season than the Broncos, too. It should be a tight game, though.
Chris (Florida)
Who is Georgia's next DC?
Mark Schlabach
I think Richt makes one more run at Kirby Smart. If Smart doesn't take it, I think Dallas Cowboys DL coach Todd Grantham might be the front runner.
Matthew (Orlando, FL)
I look at the Meyer thing from a different angle, it was a commercial for Gator football. He came back because of how special the place is as well as his players. What recruit, mother, coach etc would want to be there for those reasons?
Mark Schlabach
No question that press conference yesterday turned into an informercial for the Gators and Meyer's love for Jeremy Foley and vice versa. Strange deal, to say the least.
Hal Applebaum (Denver )
Do you think we would have seen the exact same scenario from Florida and Urban Meyer if they had beaten Alabama and were preparing for the National Title game instead of the Sugar Bowl?
Mark Schlabach
No, I think the loss to Alabama had a profound effect on Urban Meyer. I think the loss only made his soul searching more profound. Obviously, I don't know what was going through his mind.
Mark Schlabach
No, I think the loss to Alabama had a profound effect on Urban Meyer. I think the loss only made his soul searching more profound. Obviously, I don't know what was going through his mind.
Mike (Chicago)
So Urban Meyer shocks the world by resigning, now he's pretty much back. I'm confused.
Mark Schlabach
I think he was confused, too.
james (tennessee)
how do you see the vols doing against va tech in the chicfila bowl.
Mark Schlabach
I think it will be a close game. Hokies and Vols both run the ball well. Both have struggled to throw the ball at times. Crompton and Taylor have been up and down.
CM (MS)
What do you credit to all the recent hirings of miniortiy coaches in the FBS?? especially in BCS conferences!!!!!
Mark Schlabach
I think the guys that were hired were certainly qualified head coaching candidates. Glad to see Turner Gill get a chance at a BCS school. I was worried the window had closed after a bad season at Buffalo. Charlie Strong's opportunity was long overdue.
Mike (Chicago)
What's your prediction for the Iowa/GT Orange Bowl?
Mark Schlabach
I think Iowa has a chance if Stanzi comes back strong. Triple option is easier to defend when you've had a month to prepare. If Iowa runs the ball, the Hawkeyes will have a chance.
Alex (Miami, FL)
Hey Mark, when you were interviewing Bobby Bowden the other day you seemed pretty sad. Are you going to miss him?
Mark Schlabach
I don't think I was sad. Excited to finally get the interview, more than anything else. But, yes, I'll miss him. I think most college football fans will miss him. He was great for the game. It will be sad to see Joe Paterno go when he steps down, too (whenever that is).
NICOLE (HAPPY VALLEY)
With my joe pa, speaking out on expansion will it happen any time during his tenure, so that he can get a shot at the CONFERENCE championship game he has wanted for his conference??? WHO WILL THEY ADD?????
Mark Schlabach
I think the Big Ten takes its time in identifying the right school. Rutgers? Maryland? There have been a lot of schools tossed out there in the discussion. We'll see which school ends up getting the invite.
GARRETT (TEXAS)
Can TEXAS pull up the spirits of VINCE YOUNG and beat what the media thinks is an unbeatable BAMMA??????????
Mark Schlabach
Texas is going to have to block Bama much better than it blocked Nebraska. Texas' lack of a running game has concerned me all season. Defense will have to be solid. Has to get pressure on McElroy. I think Bama wins.
Ryan (Atlanta)
Mark, why does everyone think WVU will blow out FSU? FSU has the motovation (Bowden and keeping the winning season streak alive) and the offense to score. All of FSU's games have been close (excluding UF) and this one should be too.
Mark Schlabach
FSU certainly has the motivation to win the game with Bowden stepping down. Offensively, FSU can play with anybody. Defense has been FSU's problem this season.
Roddy (San Fran)
LSU vs Penn St seems to be very similar to last year's LSU vs Ga. Tech bowl game: The superior athleticism of LSU overwhelms their opponent. Agree?
Mark Schlabach
Penn State will keep it close. LSU has lacked something all season, so I don't think they'll show up and blow out Penn State. The Nittany Lions are solid, but didn't win the two games that mattered this season. LSU has played well in bowl games, though.
COREY (DESTIN,FLA)
Why did URBAN make his announcment at that particular time???THen why rectract??? Did he not think it through enough????DO you think their is something we don't know??????????
Mark Schlabach
I don't think we know the complete story yet and might not. He isn't obligated to reveal his health problems to the world. That's a private matter. But he was very vague in answering questions about his health yesterday. It will be interesting to see how long his leave of absence lasts.
Chris (NYC)
Am I the only conspiracy theorist out there who thinks that Coach Urban Meyer's story changes again immediately after National Signing Day? Your thoughts?

Advertisement

Tell us what you think!

Take Survey Now » No Thanks »